2 Sleeps Left
April 22, 2005

The last few days or so I have been in a mad rush to get all the loose ends tied up before we fly into the sunset on Sunday. I mailed off my taxes last night, I was lucky enough to have my friend Leif dp my taxes for me this year, and he ended up saving me a few grand. So if anyone needs a really good accountant he's the man to talk to. My mp3 player FINALLY arrived after 3 weeks of waiting. The woman I ordered it off had to go to a funeral, was sick with the flu, her laptop died, and then the mp3 player got turned back at customs. After searching far and wide I picked the iRiver H320 it has great geek appeal. Reasons it's better than an iPod: it has an FM tuner, it has a large amazing colour screen, it plays videos, and best of all it supports USBOTG which means that I can plug a CF reader into it, and transfer all of our pictures directly to the mp3 player without a laptop, which means that I can store 20Gb of pictures on it while we are in South America. I also updated Dayna's site to a blog, so that she no longer has to be sitting at home in front of Dreamweaver to update it, go check it out!

Comments:

Yes, but it doesn't come in white!

Posted by: at April 22, 2005 10:45 AM
Comment Seperator

Yes, you're quite right. I forgot to mention that as one of the advantages of the H320. It does not come with the standard cheapo white earbuds that the iPod does. Based on the number of muggings of iPod users for that exact reason I'm quite happy about that.

Posted by: mottie at April 22, 2005 10:53 AM
Comment Seperator

You could be right, although I am typing this using Safari, on an iMac G3 and listening to my 1GB iPod shuffle (named: iPod Shuffelle), which I purchased in addition to my 40GB iPod 4G. I think it's safe to say I've been bitten by the Apple bug.

Posted by: at April 22, 2005 11:05 AM
Comment Seperator

I would have loved to buy an iPod, but the Belkin CF reader accessory only does 300k/sec (1x CDROM) which means that reading a 1GB CF card would take basically the entire battery life. There was an old iPod remote that had an FM tuner built in, but it's not supported by the new iPods.

Posted by: mottie at April 22, 2005 11:28 AM
Comment Seperator

Wow, that accountant of yours sure sounds like a great guy! I wish I had used him to help me out with my taxes. I'll be sure to tell all my friends about him!

Posted by: Not Leif at April 22, 2005 7:50 PM
Comment Seperator

what's in the altoids container?

Posted by: erik at April 23, 2005 11:15 PM
Comment Seperator

Altoids has batteries and a female usb port. iRiver crippled the US version of the H320 so it does not power the external device on its own. I believe it had something to do with DRM issues as the UK version does not support DRM but powers the device. The altoids container provides 2 full battery charges, and powers any usb device you plug into it. You can hack the H320 internally with a solder gun, but that scares me, and this way I can charge it in the middle of no where.

Posted by: mottie at April 24, 2005 8:48 AM
Comment Seperator

ah... very cool! Way to improvise. And it looks pretty clean.

Posted by: erik at April 25, 2005 10:19 AM